1. The contest is open to original unpublished works of fiction up to 3,000 words.
2. Top 16 stories will be selected by the Broken Pencil fiction team. These 16 stories will compete in a weekend-long battle royale. Readers will be able to vote for 1 story every hour, and comment as they see fit. The 8 stories that receive the most votes will become the quarter-finalists, and move on in the competition.
3. The top eight stories will battle against each other in one-on-one competition, with the winner moving on to face the other winner(s) of that round. It looks something like this:
Winners of the rounds are determined by voting on the Broken Pencil website. The contestants and anyone else are encouraged to solicit votes for their stories in any way they can think of, provided it’s legal and doesn’t involve undermining the principle of one vote per one person every hour – that means no clickbots!
4. All rounds will conclude on Sunday nights at 11:59 pm. New rounds will begin the next day — Monday — at 12 noon.
5. Commenters/voters must register on the site in order to vote. The authors of the stories are also commenters/voters. Once you are registered and logged in, you can vote, comment and “up-vote” the comments you like most. As a commenter, receiving up-votes will increase the potency of your vote. If you receive 50 up-votes on your comments, each of your story votes from then on will be worth double. There are several other secret milestones based on up-voted comments that will further increase the weight of vote. These will be announced throughout the competition. The most engaged critics will have a stronger impact on the outcome. On top of vote power, the top commenters in each round will receive a subscription to Broken Pencil Magazine.
6. First place winner receives the complete Indie Writers Makeover – consultations and feedback sessions with top publishing professionals! This includes consultation with an editor at an established independent press, a consultation with a literary agent and a consultation with an acclaimed writer. They will read your work and give you feedback on your writing, your career and what to do next! First place also receives publication in the Spring issue of Broken Pencil and $400. The top three finalists receive $100, a Broken Pencil Prize Pack worth $100, and publication in the Spring issue of Broken Pencil.
7. By registering a profile in order to vote/comment in the Deathmatch, you are agreeing to be added to the Deathmatch/Broken Pencil newsletter mailing lists. You can unsubscribe at any time after you receive your first newsletter.
For questions about Deathmatch, email email@example.com.